headerphoto

Why I Blog

I feel the need to protect and to help myself and others.

I had a head injury several years ago and am disabled from it.

As a result I have or I have had Prosopagnosia, Nystygmus, Cerebral Achromatism, Dyscalculia, double vision, vision drop-out, headaches, neckaches, fatigue, problems navigating, difficulties with comprehension, memory and planning, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

Normally, it's not that bad.

But, as Jean-Paul Sartre said, hell is other people. Since my accident, I have encountered a level of insensitivity, ignorance, and prejudice that I had never known before. It's been a real blow. Sometimes, I've experienced cruelty, and I haven't felt safe in social settings, in places of worship, in volunteer projects. It seems I am more vulnerable to relational aggression, which is like a form of social bullying or internet bullying. And it hurts. So far, I haven't been able to protect myself very well from it. Unfortunately this has happened in the LGBT community.

I hope over time the tide will turn. I know it will.

It occurred to me that if I blog, I would be better protected and perhaps less vulnerable. Maybe I would improve my skills and remember more, and be taken advantage of less, and be treated better. And if I really can't remember more, at least I'll have something true to look back at.

And I always wanted to tell my story. Who doesn't.

I'm proud of who I am. I don't feel ashamed or lacking. I know the secret. A human being is not defined by income or by IQ or status or even achievement, but by qualities of being. I'm really into qualities of being. I can be caring, I can be a good listener, I can be available, be friendly, be present, be creative, be meditative, be supportive, be kind, be patient, be spontaneous, be funny, be free. It's easy for me. Other people don't have time to just be. Their ego drives them to other things. But I've had an amazing spiritual journey.

By writing I also hope to reach out to other folks with disability, particularly those with similar issues. I'd like to share solutions and strategies.

And hey, maybe I'll be able to write about many other things in life that aren't disability-related. Like art, music, technology, sports, yoga, spirituality, comedy, and the economy.

I think that's a pretty good list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment